Are you looking for the best cooler for traveling with breastmilk?
Are you a working mum looking for a cooler bag for expressed breast milk? Without question, you need to be pumping breast milk when you are away from your little one. Get the best cooler for travelling with frozen breast milk. Otherwise, your nursing relationship might hit the rocks.
Perhaps you are travelling with breast milk by car. Or you could be flying and pumping breast milk. You want to choose the best cooler for frozen breast milk, so you don’t lose the liquid gold.
Fret not because we’ve researched for you.
Finding the Best Cooler For Transporting BreastMilk
How are the best breast milk bottle cooler bags made? What features are most valuable when you need one for travelling?
You want to ensure that the baby’s milk and food don’t go bad no matter how long your journey is. Start by investing in the best cooler bag for your breast milk. How can you be sure you are buying the right model to carry the precious liquid?
- 1. Capacity :
- Check for a cooler with storage space for at least 3 or more bottles. Preferably, it should accommodate bottles of varying sizes and shapes. Again, you don’t need too big a capacity. Keeping excess milk will be a waste unless you have more than two babies.
You might want to carry food jars and other accessories when flying. Then, go for breast milk cooler for an airplane with several compartments.
Compartments give you the flexibility you need as your baby grows older. They also help to keep your hands free, so you don’t carry too many bags. Generally, the capacity depends on how much milk your baby needs while you are o the go.
- 2. Cooling method:
- Portable cooler bags for breast milk varies from one model to another. Some require icepacks, while others use gel wall linings. There are also some that use standard refrigeration. Stay tuned to find one breastmilk cooler bag on Amazon that acts as a regular refrigerator.
Ice packs are flexible and straightforward. You can swap them whenever you want. Ensure that they are close enough to the bottles when travelling.
Gel-lined coolers require refrigeration beforehand. So, you have to throw them into a freezer the night before you travel. You might not find them convenient for impromptu trips.
When it comes to portable refrigerator bags, you need a power source to maintain cold temperatures. You need a car battery or office power outlet if you want to keep milk cold for longer. While these models can be bulky, they are more efficient than ice packed counterparts.
- 3. Portability:
- You are looking for something that will make your journeys as stress-free as possible. Consider a travel-friendly design. You’ll find a portable breast milk cooler bag for flying highlighted here under.
- 4. Aesthetics:
- Who said that being a nursing mum should be boring? In today’s market for breast milk coolers, you’ll find models with all shapes and colours. But you must not compromise functionality for physical appeal.
You also don’t need something that lets the whole world know you are breastfeeding. Try to keep things minimal but fancy.
Table showing 6 best cooler for traveling with breastmilk
Medela Breast Milk Cooler and Transport Set, 5 ounce Bottles with Lids, Contoured Ice Pack, Cooler Carrier Bag
This buying guide discusses the most popular cooler bags for schlepping breastmilk. It further explains the features, pros, and cons. We want you to be confident when choosing a product from Amazon. Behold the best breastmilk cooler bag review.
1. Medela Cooler and Transport Set – Best Breastmilk Cooler For Short Trips
When you purchase the Medela bag, you also get four standard mouth bottles from the same brand. There’s a curved ice pack designed to engulf the bottles to keep the milk cold all day. The contoured design allows maximum contact between the ice pack and the bottles’ surface area.
- Weight: 1.84 pounds
- Size: 5 ½ by 6 ¾ by 6 ¾ inches
- Double-eclectic pumps
- Free of BPA
- Compatible with Medela Sonata bags and Medela 5-oz bottles
- 1 cooler, carrier bag, contoured ice pack, and four 150-mL bottles with lids
- Our Verdict: When you are looking for a secondary container to leave breastmilk at daycare or carry from work to home, you cannot pass Medela Cooler Set. It is one of the best breast milk cooler bags for pumping at work.
2. FlexiFreeze Pocketbook Breastmilk Cooler – Best for moms who don’t pump much
Enjoy a wallet-sized breast milk cooler that’s able to fit just any handbag. Discreetly store your frozen milk in the durable and compact FlexiFreeze Pocketbook Cooler. It has 16 cubes of water, make sure that your water all frozen before you pop it in the bag. Put the milk bags between the ice cube layers and your good to go.
- Size:4.5 by 2.3 by 8 inches
- 2 Mini-hospital bottles
- 4 Lansinoh bags (4 oz)
- 5-ounce milk storage bags
- 16 built-in cubes of water
- Our Verdict: FlexiFereeze is the way to go when you desire a quick way to transport breast milk. The cooler can fit 3 milk storage bags. It is, therefore, a perfect size if you don’t pump a lot. The bags have the ability to keep the milk cold for 8 hours.
3. Sarah Wells Lizzy BreastPump Bag – Most Stylish and Versatile Breastmilk Cooler Bag
Don’t like carrying a stack of bags? This breast pump bag ensures that you transport breastmilk, lunch, and purse in one place. It simply keeps your hands free.
- Thermally-lined pockets
- Navy design
- Hidden compartments for storage convenience
- Discreet zip at the end
- Our Verdict: Most people think Sarah Wells breast pump bag is a trendy bag. It is the best in terms of aesthetics. You can choose your preferred print from multiple styles. It is large enough to fit a portable pump and milk in thermally-lined pockets. The milk remains cold in the pockets for 6 hours.
The extra expense is worthwhile because you’ll be using the customizable Sarah Wells bag for years. What’s more, it’s backed by a lifetime warranty.
4. PackIt Freezable Lunch Bag – Best Gel-Lined Milk Cooler for Working Moms
Want to take your breast pumping efforts up a notch? Here’s a special breastmilk cooler bag which doesn’t require you to add ice packs. Packit Freezable Bag is foldable when empty and its freezing agents are sewn inside.
The cooling elements are gel-like substances incorporated into the lining. Don’t worry about the exterior getting wet because the lining is water-resistant. It stays dry even when the gel begins to defrost. So, your food and any other accessory will be completely safe.
- Size: 5 x 8.5 x 5 inches
- Zip-top closure
- Poly canvas lunch bag
- Patented cooling mechanism with freezable gel
- Fixed shoulder strap
- Numerous designs
- 6 to 8 hours of cold storage
- Our Verdict: Do you have a particular color that appeals to you? PackIt Freezable cooler bags for breast milk come with over 40 fancy designs. With over 4,000 customer reviews, it’s one of the best breast milk cooler bags on Amazon.
5. Igloo Thermoelectric Cooler – Best Best Iceless Cooler for the Car
Have you been working long hours and moving a lot with your car? You are probably tired of relying on frozen ice packs or gel linings. You deserve the best cooler bag to store breast milk wherever you go.
Igloo Iceless Thermoelectric Cooler comes to your rescue. It’s like a mini-refrigerator and fully functional. Only that this one is portable, it keeps the maternal milk nice and cold even when you spend 8 hours of road trips every day.
While the iceless cooler is a bit pricey, you will be able to store pumped milk like you would at home. When you have a long road ahead, simply plug it into the car. You can also connect the power cord into an electric outlet in your office or hotel room.
- 24-litre maximum capacity
- Made of plastic
- Ergonomic design with contoured back
- Swing-up bale handle
- Polypropylene lining
- Quiet brushless motor
- Conventional cooling fan
- Molded-in handles
- Cools without ice using the car’s cigarette lighter
- Keeps milk and food cold at 36°F
- 8-inch power cord compatible with 12v DC receptacle/cigarette lighter
- Our Verdict: Compared to other ice pack options, Igloo Iceless Thermoelectric Cooler maintains frozen maternal milk for significantly longer periods of time. It doesn’t make noise; just make sure the inlet and outlet vents are not blocked. It’s highly recommended for longer storage since it doesn’t use ice packs to keep milk and food cold.
6. J.L Childress 6-Bottle Cooler Bag – Best for Portability
Many moms are after compact and lightweight cooler bags for breast milk. J.L Childress 6-Bottle has enough room to carry sippy cups, bibs, and small breast pump. A leak-proof tote bag comes with 2 compartments, both of which are insulated.
This is the perfect size for a whole day’s milk supply. The extra storage at the top section can carry 3 jars of baby food if you’re taking your child to daycare. If you want to make the tote easy to clean, pull up the lining and wipe the dirt.
- Bottom compartment holds 6 standard bottles (8oz)
- Top compartment carries food jars and accessories
- Reusable icepack
- Shoulder strap
- Leak-proof lining
- Can convert to a carry bag
- Our Verdict: For long trips and daycare purposes, you may swap some bottles with a bigger ice pack. The carry strap features a good length that crosses over your back. Reviews indicate that J.L Childress bottle bag can keep things cold for 8 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. For how long can I keep frozen breastmilk in the cooler?
Typically, a cooler with ice packs can maintain frozen milk for 24 hours. Read the product information and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
2. How long is frozen milk good for after thawing?
After warming up previously frozen milk, make sure your baby takes it within 2 hours. You can put it in the refrigerator for no more than 24 hours. Do not refreeze.
3. How can I warm breastmilk while travelling?
If you are traveling with your baby, always carry a small bowl. Run hot water in a restroom sink and put the milk bottle inside. Never use a microwave to defrost.
4. How many days can expressed breastmilk be stored in the refrigerator?
Under lean conditions, it can stay for up to 5 days at the back of the fridge running at 15°C. If you have a deep freezer, it can stay for up to 12 months. Although the NHS recommends only to freeze for 6 months.
Tips for Travelling With Breastmilk:
Even when you are away from your baby, you still want them to enjoy breastmilk at its best. Pumping and taking home maternal milk requires extra effort. Coolers and refrigerators will save your days, helping you carry freshly pumped milk.
What if you are flying to a different country for a few days? Maybe you are headed for a weekend getaway with friends. Either way, your breastfeeding endeavours will involve more challenges.
But how sure are you that the milk will be safe for your baby? Don’t fall into a ball of anxiety. The following tips can make your trips less stressful.
- Pack all the necessities: The pump, freezer bags, hard ice packs, cooler, wipes, nursing cover, steam bags, tubes, milk bottles, and batteries
- Freeze breastmilk immediately after pumping
- When pumping in flight, take the pump as medical equipment rather than checked luggage
- Never allow anybody to touch the milk
- Find a family restroom in the airport terminal. Lock the door and pump privately
- To pump while on the plane, use the nursing cover for discretion
- On a hot day, ask the flight attendant if you can use the plane refrigerator
- Have a fridge at home. You can be storing breast milk in hotel mini-fridge while on vacation
Having the best cooler bags for breastmilk is convenient during travels. Whether you are flying with your baby or want to bring fresh milk after work, many products will make you a proud mom. From portable refrigerators, enclosed freezer bags, to ice packs, there’s always an option for you.
Some of these coolers are compact enough and can be safely tucked in a baby stroller.
When you need something stylish to match your dressing code, Sarah Wells Breast Pump Bag will not disappoint. If you need ample storage to keep everything for a long road trip, the Mojecto Cooler Bag would be a perfect option. To complement the Medela pump system, opt for Medala Breastmilk Cooler as it will be compatible with the bottles.